A delicious, easy weekend's worth of meals? Yes, please!
Weekends tend to be (whether I plan it, or not), "cheat" days in regards to what I eat. I don't intend to make less healthy choices, but it happens. And I realized I wasn't prioritizing my weekend meals as much as weekday (Sunday night lists, menu planning, grocery trip). Maybe I was subconsciously setting myself up so I could say, "Well, I didn't plan anything, so YES to giant, loaded veggie burgers from one of my favorite local restaurants.
These recipes are a culmination of my time (like it was prison) on the Whole30, and also my son who eats approximately 1 can of black beans a day asking me to switch it up a bit and make black bean burgers, and my obsession with caramelized onions.
I hope you can enjoy this combination as much as my family and I did, and it helps you intentionally/unintentionally set yourself up for avoiding a full blown 3 day cheat weekend. ;)
-3 large yellow onions
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp Asofoetida (Hing-found at your local Indian grocer's)
-1 tbsp coconut oil
-1/2 cup water
1) Preheat large skillet to medium high heat.
2) Add coconut oil.
3) Add onions, salt, Asofoetida.
4) Saute, stirring often for 20minutes. Deglaze the pan with water if the onions begin to burn/stick.
Coconut Mashed Sweet Potatoes
-1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
-2 lg Sweet Potatoes or Yams
-1 tsp Sea Salt
1) Bake sweet potatoes in foil for 60minutes.
2) Peel off skin (optional to leave it, but it will peel off simply from the roasting process).
***Handle with care, it will be hot***
3) Add potatoes to large bowl with salt. Mash to a smooth consistency.
4) Shake the can of coconut milk to combine the water and fat.
5) Add 1/2 the can to the potatoes and stir. Add more to the desired, creamy, consistency.
6) Set aside.
Spiced Black Bean Burger
-1 can seasoned or unseasoned black beans
-3/4 cup ground nuts
-2 large eggs
-1 tsp cumin
-1 tsp coriander
-1 tsp fennel
1 tsp Asofoetida (Hing-found at your local Indian Grocery)
-1 tsp sea salt
1) Mash black beans with all of the ingredients.
2) Form patties to your desired size. Make them about 1/2" thickness.
3) Oil a large cast iron or non stick pan, and let it heat to medium heat until it sizzles when sprinkled with water.
4) Add the patties to the pan and cook 5 minutes on either side.
Assemble the black bean burger on top of 1/2 cup of the sweet potato mash. Top with 1 tbsp caramelized onions.